Visitors

Friday, July 31, 2009

Needle in haystack, running on fumes

For the first time in my life, I knew more than the FBI. They invited me to spend several hours with highly trained agents from the Evidence Response Team.

Yesterday, a select few buried a fake skeleton. Today everyone else had to locate and exhume it. I was one of only a few people who knew its actual location.


Lucky me.

I learned a lot. First of all, agents don’t JUST drive around in dark SUV’s. They are funny, personable people. The camera scares them just as much as the rest of us.

After about 30-minutes of searching, agents found the fake skeleton which was buried wearing a Spiderman mask. Humor is important when you spend much of your time digging up real people.

I got to watch them carefully dig around the bones to make sure no evidence got lost.

They work meticulously. Once they’ve removed the bones, they still dig down about a foot in case any evidence ended up buried under the body.

Excavating a real body would take about six hours, this one took just more than an hour. Good training for them and a good look at how it’s done for the rest of us.

What I didn’t tell the agents is that I arrived there nearly out of gas. I stood a good chance of not making it out of the “search site” on my own. (Blame Anna Hewson who ALWAYS leaves her car without gas.) I think I would have rather pushed our 9NEWS SUV up a mountain than have to call the FBI and ask for gasoline. Luckily no call was necessary.

After safely making it back to Denver, I stopped by Posh Salon for a haircut. We have a promo shoot next Tuesday and I was instructed to cut my hair.

Now it’s 10 minutes until the 4:00 show – which I’m appearing on to report this story.

Have a good weekend.