Visitors

Friday, August 28, 2009

An hour with the Shaggy Bandit

I’ll admit, I was a little surprised when the man who claims he’s the Shaggy Bandit agreed to talk to me about his suspected 17 bank robberies or attempted robberies.

We talked for an hour in a very small visitor’s cubical at the Denver City Jail. He sat behind thick glass and we spoke over a telephone.

Michael Kincade was kind. He smiled. He looked me right in the eye. He didn’t come across cocky.

He seemed very average. He has long hair and wore a shirt with a camouflage print.

He came across as a man who realized the magnitude of what he claims he’s done.

Kincade said he’s sorry and told me he didn’t want to hurt anybody.

"I have standards. It might not seem like it much," he said. "I didn't see myself hurting anyone."

Follow me on Twitter: jacelarson