Visitors

Monday, August 13, 2012

1 thing that will make reporters not read your press release #SM #B2B #journalism #wjchat

I don’t want my blog to become a weekly rant, so let me know when I’m reaching that point. This is meant as a helpful tip to PR professionals.

This morning I received several story pitches via email. I’d say you are doing pretty good as a PR rep if you get me to read your full email because it’s one of -- no joke – hundreds I receive each day. And on a Monday morning, I have even more to go through than usual.

My helpful hint: DO NOT send me a press release or pitch in a word document. 

On my cell phone (which is where I get most of my e-mail) it takes too long to open and when it does, it’s not fun to read a full-page document on a screen just larger than a postage stamp. (grin)

This tip is also helpful for viewers who send me story tips. (And viewers: please keep sending them.)

If I had more time, I would read story pitches no matter the format. I want to know what is going on. The fact is, I just don’t have time.

The best way to get my attention – whether you are a viewer or PR rep – is to call me. 303-871-1432